Wednesday, July 25, 2007

21 days for new habit

How long does it take to actually form a new habit? The common response is 21 days. Studies have actually shown that if you practice a new habit for an average of 21 days, it actually becomes easier to do the new habit than it is to NOT to do the new habit. That's fantastic!!

I've always been really into working out and being healthy, but the past few months I've gotten into a slump and made plenty of excuses for not going to the gym. I actually dreaded going to the gym. Looking back, I can see how this really effected me physically and emotionally. I was in a relationship and so going to the gym took a back seat. Now I see there needs to be a balance in all things.

Making a commitment to run a half marathon (Nike's Women in San Francisco) in October, I decided the time of slacking off needed to come to an end. So a couple of weeks ago, I started going back to the gym. I really dreaded going back and it took a lot of discipline to go to the gym every day. I was surprised at how out of shape I had become. I stuck to it and grudgingly would go and "put in the time." It has now been only a couple of weeks and I cannot believe how differently I feel! I feel so much better and I feel like a weight has been lifted (no pun intended) from me emotionally. Exercising is truly theraputic. Now, amazingly enough, I look forward to going to the gym and "clearing my head" through running. I love the rush I get after I push myself to go just a little further on my runs. And even on days where you really don't feel like going, you never regret that you did once it's all over. Only 14 days and a new habit has been restored!!! This has really instilled in me just how effective and necessary exercise is for over-all well-being. I've always known the importance of exercise and now I remember why i've been so devout in my exercising in the past.

Here's a quote that I like:

"If you keep doing what you've always done, then you will keep on getting what you've always got."

Here's to new constructive habits!

2 comments:

Salt H2O said...

First it was SO much easier to run when we lived in the HB! When you've got 70 degree weather, guys playing volleyball and a chorus of waves cheering you on- it was easy.

The hardest part about working out in Salt Lake- THE GYM. It's like 100 degrees outside.

I have to admit I've totally fallen out of the habit of going to the gym. However, I'm still going to kill myself trying to run the Provo half marathon in 2 weeks. You should run it too!

Sara S said...

So True!!! How I miss those days of running along the beach in HB! We had is so good, didn't we? Sometimes I question why I left paradise. I'm totally not in shape enough to run a half in 2 weeks, but SLC has one in Sept if you're interested..